CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Strollers and Car Seats

Josh finally agreed to go to Babies R Us with me today to browse and start narrowing down our choices on some big-ticket items.  The crib, changing table, and dresser are all decided, which is a huge relief.

Our main concerns right now are carseat and stroller.  I have heard time and time again to avoid the big, bulky, heavy travel systems, and I think that advice is pretty sound.  I started looking at lightweight, umbrella-type strollers, and also a Snap'n'Go to use with the infant carseat for the first few months.

Then, I found a few lightweight strollers at BRU today that you can use an infant carseat with!  Makes needing a Snap'n'Go pointless!  Here are our (current) options:

(I'm going to use the Chicco KeyFit 30 in all of these options, because it works with every option we have.  Also, the colors in the photos may not be the actual colors we choose.)

Option #1:  Chicco KeyFit 30 infant carseat + Snap'n'Go stroller + Chicco Liteway = $394.97
Pros:  The Snap'n'Go stroller is very light and folds down small, which is nice for my little Honda and for Josh's truck.  The Chicco Liteway has great reviews, and also folds down small and is light.
Cons:  Having to store the Snap'n'Go once the kiddo is old enough to sit in the Liteway.  That the Liteway can't be used with an infant carseat.  Cheap wheels.


Option #2:  Chicco KeyFit 30 infant carseat + Britax B-Nimble Stroller = $379.98
Pros:  The Britax B-Nimble is also very lightweight and folds small.  It has the option of using an infant carseat with it, with a variety of brands accepted.
Cons:  The Britax Chaperone infant carseat snaps into the stroller, but other brands use a weird strap system that I don't know if I'm comfortable with.  The Britax Chaperone is $20 more than the Chicco KeyFit 30 carseat.  Cheap wheels.

Option #3:  Chicco KeyFit 30 infant carseat + Baby Jogger City Mini Stroller = $489.93
Pros:  This stroller has big, solid, rubber wheels that can really hold up on uneven ground.  It accepts infant carseats with the purchase of an adapter.  Still folds up relatively small.
Cons:  Most expensive option.  Not as lightweight as other strollers.  Have to purchase adapter for carseat.


I should mention that a family member has graciously offered to purchase the infant carseat of our choice, so that cost really won't be factored into the total cost of our "travel system".

So mommas, what's your opinion?

2 comments:

Raquel said...

Chicco makes a "Trevi" stroller that the Keyfit will snap into for the same price as the Liteway. It's less bulky than the stroller that comes with the travel systems.

Either way you will LOVE your Chicco.

Chelsi said...

I'm not a mommy, but I'm an auntie! I have my neice & nephew all the time and can honestly say that I did not (nor did their mothers) put them in strollers when they were that little very often. I suppose the moms weren't really cleared for exercise until 6weeks on anyway and the babies spent most of their time in the carseat, slings, baby Bjorns or some similar type carrier for their outings those first couple of months. Once they have decent head control (not neccesarily hold it up, but keep it steady from side to side) there are strollers that offer different reclining options that will eliminate the need for the car seat to click into the stroller. I also would be concerned about the umbrella strollers getting too top heavy with a big carseat attached? So, I suppose it matters what you're going to use the stroller for right away (like first two months). If you plan on taking lots of walks on roads or trails, I would suggest going with the City Jogger (or some sort of jogger). Although it is the most expensive option, it and the umbrella stroller have different functions all together.

Unfortunately, I haven't found one that is literally an ALL IN ONE! I use a Maclaren Quest umbrella stroller for the mall, fairs, parks etc. And I have a Chicco double umbrella stroller for the kids when I have them together and I do like the quality of it. Plus, the great thing about the umbrella strollers is that you'll use them for years. Probably literally until they're 3 or 4 so spending the $ on one that will last is somewhat worth it IMO.

One sister-in-law has a BOB stroller that is amazing for walks and jogs and the other has InStep jogger that I hate. The one that bought the cheaper jogger honestly wishes she would have just bought the BOB to begin with. But, these girls jog/walk three + times a week. However, trying to lug the BOB into the mall? No thank you! I've done it before and it sucks! It's way too bulky for tight spaces.

Having said all of that, I have used both a Graco bucket car seat and the Chicco Keyfit 30. I definitely like the Keyfit much better! It's a great seat. Now, I use Britax convertible carseats with the kids and have since they were about 8 months.... So many options... right?! Oh gosh!!!

Good luck! There are some great websites with unbiased opinions about carseats and strollers!!! That is what helped me buy the seats and strollers that I have!